LifeServe Blood Center » Volunteer
Volunteering at LifeServe Blood Center is a great way to get involved in your community! We depend on volunteers to assist with a variety of tasks, all of which support the vital mission of savings lives by creating access to a safe blood supply.
By volunteering your time, you will be part of the organization that is responsible for collecting, testing and distributing more than 150,000 units of blood each year. As a volunteer, you can take pride in knowing that your time is well spent and that your contribution will impact the lives of hundreds of people every day.
Benefits of Volunteering
- Be a part of an organization dedicated to helping others and saving lives
- Use your skills and spend your time in a positive working environment
- Meet new people and build new friendships
- Be recognized for your contributions at a formal appreciation event
- Receive newsletters and rewards
At LifeServe Blood Center, we work closely with potential volunteers to match their time and talents with our needs. Volunteers make a big impact in almost every department in our organization. Here are some examples of volunteer activities at LifeServe Blood Center:
- Administrative support:
- Scan documents
- Make photocopies/print documents
- Data entry
- Assist with mailings, labeling
- Packet assembly
- Building and Grounds Maintenance:
- Sweep garage and store rooms
- Plant and water flowers
- Keep parking lot clean
- General building repairs and maintenance
- General vehicle maintenance and cleaning
- Donor Services:
- Monitor donors following blood donation
- Set-up and serve juice and cookies in the canteen area
- Greeting visitors at donor center locations
- Gather supplies for mobile blood drives
- Donor Recruitment and Retention:
- Make appointment reminder phone calls
- Process and fill online store gift orders
- Print and mail certificates and other recruitment materials
- Transport blood products, supplies between hospitals, donor centers, mobile blood drives and LifeServe Blood Center distribution sites
Most volunteer activities are based from the Des Moines Donor Center (431 E. Locust St.) and Sioux City Donor Center (1019 Jones St.) during daytime, weekday hours. Volunteer drivers are needed at all hours of the day, every day of the week and are based from Des Moines, Sioux City, Mason City, and Waterloo sites. Volunteers are occasionally needed to assist with donor service activities and events in other areas and can be contacted on an as needed basis.
It takes a special person to volunteer their time – let us know if that's you!
To sign up as a volunteer fill out the form on our Contact Us page and make sure you select "Volunteer".